Mealtimes are important, if not sacred, for most families. That’s why it’s essential to have your little one sit down on the dining table and have a meal together with the family as soon as they start solids. If you don’t fancy chasing after your child with a spoon during mealtimes, a well-designed yet practical highchair could be the solution.
With the varying range of highchairs in different designs, functions and budget available, picking one can be overwhelming. We make it simple for you by summarising some of the top things to look out for when hunting for the right highchair for your child:
- Size: If you live in a smaller home or apartment, you may want to get something that doesn’t take up a lot of space.
- Safety: Check the weight capacity. Does it have safety harness to secure your child? If it comes with wheels, make sure they can be locked into place. Check the seat and tray to ensure that they are firmly secured and won’t pose as a hazard to your child.
- Style: Find a highchair that will either blend in or add a splash of colour to the other furniture and décor in your home.
- Storage: Can it be folded up easily for storage? This feature is especially important if you have minimal dining space.
- Adjustable: Is the height adjustable for your child to sit comfortably up against the dining table? Some highchairs are also reclinable with adjustable foot rests for baby.
- Clean: Does the tray has crevices and hard-to-reach spots? Is the seat removable and machine washable? Kids are not exactly the tidiest eaters, so you will want to find something that can be easily wiped and cleaned.
- Budget: Whether you’re looking at getting a standard or European-style highchair, hook-on, booster seat or chair harness, the price can range from RM200+ up to RM1,800. As it can be a hand-me-down item, do invest in a good quality one.
At Happikiddo, we offer an exciting assortment of highchairs too. Let’s see what we have here:
This highly loved, Scandinavian-designed highchair does not require much introduction. Well known as “A Chair For Life”, it can be used from newborn (with newborn seat, sold separately) up to 110kg. Yes, adults can sit on it too! Besides its classic, minimalistic look that will complement any home, its seat and footplate are both depth- and height-adjustable. Available in a variety of colours and a wide range of accessories for comfort and personalisation. In Happikiddo, we offer the official Stokke Tripp Trapp name engraving service at a minimal charge too.
Known as the 5-in-1 seating system, the Stokke Steps is suitable from newborn with a clip-on baby bouncer – sold separately – which can also be used as a floor bouncer. The rounded, generous seat and back give optimal ergonomics and are adjustable as your child grows. Personalise it by mixing and matching the seat, chair legs, baby set, tray and cushion designs of your choice. The Stokke Steps can be used up to 87kg.
If you prefer a highchair that is more portable and can be assembled in a jiffy, you’ll love the Stokke Clikk. Designed for easy mealtimes from 6 months to 3 years old, it assembles in one minute, tool free! With its adjustable footrest for comfort at each age, it is easy to wipe clean. There’s also the travel bag for on-the-go use, sold separately.
The Akarana Baby Toru Highchair is truly versatile as it can be converted from high to low chair position and into a portable booster seat or floor seat. Easy to disassemble, it comes with a travel bag, adjustable safety harness and anti-skid rubber paddings on the chair feet. Recommended from 6 months to 3 years old.
One chair, 4 functions and 5 years of use. Designed and made in Korea, the Jellymom Wise Chair features an antibacterial soft seat and 5-point safety harness. You can start using it when baby is three months old, with the removable headrest as support for baby’s delicate neck. From 6 to 12 months, fit on the removable tray during mealtimes. It can be turned into a lounging seat or feeding seat from 1 to 2 years old. When your little one progresses from three to five years old, use the soft cushion and turn the seat into a booster seat at the dining table.